Definition: Rule of thumb
A principle with broad application that is not intended to be strictly accurate or reliable for every situation. It is an easily learned and easily applied procedure for approximately calculating or recalling some value, or for making some determination. ~ Wikipedia
The following rules are to be taken “Broadly.” These rules are guides. They are not etched in stone, no deviation, take no prisoners – Laws of nature. Once we understand a rule, we will know when we can break it.
Just as in the written language there are rules that guide us so we can communicate our thoughts to the reader. If there were no rules in language or spelling we could not communicate at all.
Regions of the country or of the world have variations of these rules but these are exceptions and if they vary too extremely from the general rules no one from outside of the region is going to understand what is being said.
And here’s the kicker… These rules will change with the internet itself. The internet is like a river. Even though it’s the same water it will be in a different place tomorrow. It may even be a part of the ocean.
A proposition that follows from (and is often appended to) one already proved.
A direct or natural consequence or result : the huge increases in employment were the corollary of tax cuts.
The rules of thumb are in the approximate order of importance. You can read them one by one or skip through the posts and find serendipitous nuggets of truth.
- Why you should have a website for your business?
- What do people searching for you or your offering type into the search engines?
- What is Social Marketing?
- How can you take advantage of magnet sites like Youtube, FaceBook & Twitter?
- Do you have a listing in Google local business?
- Can you use the internet to bring people into your store?
- Can you use the internet to help with customer service?
- Is the internet as powerful as Newspaper, Magazine and Yellow Pages ads?
- The Dot Com Bubble meant that websites are dead, right?
- Why would anyone use Twitter to send out little messages about what they are doing during the day?
- Social Media sites are for kids, right?
- What do you mean by Search Engine Optimization?
- Why should I care about SEO anyway?
- Should I hire an Internet Marketing Professional?
- Can I advertise my business on Google, Yahoo & MSN Bing?
Take a little time to browse through the categories and pages to find what you need.
And if you need me… Call me.